|By the rude bridge that arched the flood, Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled, Here once the embattled farmers stood, And fired the shot heard round the world. -- From the Concord Hymn by Ralph Waldo Emerson (1836)|
|Below are listed some of the highlights chronicling the adventures of the of the George Washington Chapter (WA Sons of the American Revolution) over the years, as compiled by our intrepid Chapter Historians.|
|Mike Hutchin's Talk, "SAR History 1876+" more
|First Quarter Activity Report more
|Frontier Building Supply
WA-SAR State Flag Award
SAR Bronze Good Citizen Award more
The George Washington Chapter SAR’s Flag award program has had a number of interesting nominations over the past few years highlighting the SAR to both community organizations and individuals. Each nomination brings an interesting and encouraging patriotic story to our membership. This nomination started out like most others with a drive by, noticing a newly remodeled business front with an improved flag display.
Stopping one day to make a purchase I asked the counterperson about the flag display that is lighted with a veterans’ memorial plaque on a stone pedestal. I was told that the owner was very patriotic and that all company stores proudly displayed the U.S. Flag and did so correctly. Making a point of seeking out the business owner I explained who I was and a brief overview of the SAR Flag program. During the conversation I found that in addition to storefront displays the owner, on his own, provides flags throughout the community at his expense. When he sees a flag in disrepair he contacts the individual or business and offers a quality replacement flag.
Drafting the initial nomination took me to the General Manager who gave me additional information on the extensive scope of the owner’s activities. This seemed to be more than a Flag Award nomination that we discussed in several chapter meetings. Having six business locations and providing, at no charge, some 200 replacement flags to both business and individuals seemed to be beyond a Chapter level award.
It was decided at a chapter meeting that we would recommend the WA SSAR award the Flag Recognition Certificate and the chapter would award the business owner a Good Citizen Medal and Certificate
The presentation was made at the company headquarters with Compatriots Christopher Fridley and Mike Hutchins presenting the Certificate and Medal to the surprised business owner.
- Presentation at What Mercer Elementary (15 March 2019) April 23, 2019
- Compatriot Carlos Malone receiving his Color Guard Pin (20 April 2019) April 21, 2019
- Secretary Russ Oliver (right) receives SAR Certificate of Appreciation (20 April 2019) April 21, 2019
- President Dale Harshman (right) receives Certificate of Appreciation (20 April 2019) April 21, 2019
- Compatriot Lee Harman receiving the SAR Bronze Citizenship Medal and Certificate (20 April 2019) April 21, 2019
- Chapter Historian, Mike Hutchins, Talking on the history of the SAR (20 April 2019) April 21, 2019
- Karen Manett, Regent of the Ann Washington Chapter WA DAR (20 April 2019) April 21, 2019
- Images of the 2019 WA SAR Convention in Olympia (12-13 April 2019) April 17, 2019