|By the rude bridge that arched the flood, Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled, Here once the embattled farmers stood, And fired the shot heard round the world. -- From the Concord Hymn by Ralph Waldo Emerson (1836)
|Below are listed some of the highlights chronicling the adventures of the of the George Washington Chapter (WA Sons of the American Revolution) over the years, as compiled by our intrepid Chapter Historians.|
|Third Quarter Activity Report more
|Second Quarter Activity Report more
Mike Hutchin's Talk, "SAR History 1876+" more
|First Quarter Activity Report more
|Frontier Building Supply
WA-SAR State Flag Award
SAR Bronze Good Citizen Award more
The George Washington Chapter SAR’s Flag award program has had a number of interesting nominations over the past few years highlighting the SAR to both community organizations and individuals. Each nomination brings an interesting and encouraging patriotic story to our membership. This nomination started out like most others with a drive by, noticing a newly remodeled business front with an improved flag display.
Stopping one day to make a purchase I asked the counterperson about the flag display that is lighted with a veterans’ memorial plaque on a stone pedestal. I was told that the owner was very patriotic and that all company stores proudly displayed the U.S. Flag and did so correctly. Making a point of seeking out the business owner I explained who I was and a brief overview of the SAR Flag program. During the conversation I found that in addition to storefront displays the owner, on his own, provides flags throughout the community at his expense. When he sees a flag in disrepair he contacts the individual or business and offers a quality replacement flag.
Drafting the initial nomination took me to the General Manager who gave me additional information on the extensive scope of the owner’s activities. This seemed to be more than a Flag Award nomination that we discussed in several chapter meetings. Having six business locations and providing, at no charge, some 200 replacement flags to both business and individuals seemed to be beyond a Chapter level award.
It was decided at a chapter meeting that we would recommend the WA SSAR award the Flag Recognition Certificate and the chapter would award the business owner a Good Citizen Medal and Certificate
The presentation was made at the company headquarters with Compatriots Christopher Fridley and Mike Hutchins presenting the Certificate and Medal to the surprised business owner.
|2013 - 2017|
|2017 Summary of Activities more
|2016 Summary of Activities more
|2015 Summary of Activities more
|2014 Summary of Activities more
|2013 Summary of Activities more
|Inaugural Charter Ceremony for the George Washington Chapter WA SAR more
- Compatriot Gary Hebert receiving his Official Veterans Recognition Award (16 Nov 2019) November 17, 2019
- Kelly Davidson honored for her Memorial Day Remembrance efforts (16 Nov 2019) November 17, 2019
- CG Capt. Mike Hutchins accepting New Member and Supplemental Ancestor certificates (16 Nov 2019) November 17, 2019
- Lee Schuirman giving a moving rendition of “My Name is Old Glory” (16 Nov 2019) November 17, 2019
- Mrs. Faye Johnson accepting our Chapter Flag Award (16 Nov 2019) November 16, 2019
- Cadet LCDR Matt Allen accepting Medal of Valor (13 Nov 2019) November 16, 2019
- Auburn Veterans Day Parade (9 Nov 2019) November 10, 2019
- DAR Annual National Defense Luncheon (2 Nov 2019) November 4, 2019